Apply for a residency at PICA
Applications are now closed.
Hyper Local Residencies
Two six-month studio residencies are available to Perth-based artists to dedicate time to developing and consolidating a long-term project. Our Hyper Local residencies are for artists with a committed studio practice and the motivation to work independently over the course of their residency. While at PICA, residency artists join a creative cohort that share in studio visits, artist talks and Open Studio events.
Through PICA’s Studio Program, artists are provided with:
- Exclusive use of a private, accessible studio at PICA with daily access from 7am–10pm
- Use of PICA’s shared areas and equipment (as available)
- Curatorial, production and logistical support from PICA staff
- Facilitated connections with local artists, organisations and communities for research and community engagement
- Critical and supportive feedback from audiences through the presentation of works-in-progress at an Open Studio event (for residencies longer than four weeks)
Quick Response Residencies
PICA’s Quick Response studio residencies are for artists needing space to test an idea or develop a project over a short time frame of 1-6 weeks. With an open call for applications twice a year, this program aims to contribute to the cultural life of Perth by providing much-needed space, equipment and time to develop or experiment with ideas without the pressure of a completed outcome.
About the Studios
The spaces available for this callout include Studio 3 and Studio 4, which are:
- Between 38-48 square metres
- Large windows with natural light (can be covered if required)
- Rendered and painted brick walls, 4.2m high
- Polished jarrah wood floors
- Overhead LED lights
Applications are now closed.
This opportunity is open to artists of all disciplines based in WA over the age of 18.
The applications will be assessed by a selection panel, including PICA’s Producer, Curator and Public Program & Studio Manager. Applications are assessed on the below criteria:
Demonstrated quality of your existing work and public and peer response to your practice.
The suitability of your practice and your proposal to PICA’s studio spaces.
Impact on your career
How the proposed residency will strengthen your practice and capacity as an arts professional.
Residency Periods and Durations
Our two Hyper Local 6-month residencies are available from January-June 2024 and July 2024-January 2025.
Our Quick Response residencies are available for periods of 1–6 weeks in the first half of 2024. There will be a second call for applications for the second half of the year in early 2024.
Get in Touch
For any questions or if you need to submit your application in a format different to the below form, email PICA’s Public Program & Studio Manager, Miranda Johnson at email@example.com
If you are unexpectedly unwell or experience some kind of last-minute interruption that means you will not be able to meet this deadline and require a few additional days, please get in touch with us prior to the closing time to discuss.
Image: Chris Williams, All Yours for a Time, creative development, 2023, photo: Tristan McKenzie